Introduction

This blog will follow me through my travels and experiences working at a clinic in Quetzaltenango (Xela), Guatemala. The clinic sees primarily indigenous (Mayan) patients in a rural mountain community. More than half of the patients are children, and the clinic is expanding its population even more to include more adults. Much of my struggles actually come from the rather universal theme of being a new healthcare provider, in my case, a new nurse practitioner. I'll also try to post plenty of travel stories to keep people entertained, and share some more cheerful stories. I apologize if there's an overkill of clinic stories. Sometimes it helps to tell the stories, even if only for my own sake.

Friday, December 10, 2010

Implementation of the new Malnutrition Protocol at the Clinic

This morning I went into the clinic with a back-pack full of stuff. I brought in the 150 copies of the nutrition record for the charts, 150 copies of the patient info handouts, 5 laminated copies of the color-food pyramid/nutrition info sheet, the stuff to make folders, handouts for my class, and a sample of an appetite stimulant we can use. When I got to the clinic in the morning, I set out to organizing all the folders, posting the information, and making a spreadsheet to keep track of patient data.


We got busy towards the end of the day, so I was a little nervous we weren't going to have time to hold the little training session class for the clinic staff. But in the end we were able to fit it in. We held the class in the classroom space the clinic saves just for this purpose (and for office-parties).

I went over a little bit of info on why malnutrition is important to treat even when it's mild or moderate, how to treat it, what paperwork we can use to keep track of tests and stuff, distributed protocol, went over dosing of some medications, talked about what sort of educational info we should use, and how to help motivate people to get involved in such long-term treatment.


The protocol includes:
-screening for malnutrition at every visit, and prompt treatment
-education for students, volunteers, and staff
-documentation specific to the needs of malnourished kids

Treatment includes:
-monthly weight checks, and exams
-lab testing for parasitic infections and anemia, and treatment for any infection
-multivitamins
-educational plan with info about nutritional requirements, supplements, health/hygiene, etc.
Everything is kept track of in the patient's chart, and a spreadsheet at the front desk. The parents also are given a chart where they can keep track of the information themselves.

It has been really exciting to work with the clinic on this, and get input from various people. I'm looking forward to keeping track of the progress of the children at the clinic over time.

All in all it was a good day. It felt nice to finally get to do something with the work I have been doing, and I think it was all pretty well-received.

No comments:

Post a Comment