Introduction

This blog will follow me through my travels and experiences working at a clinic in Quetzaltenango (Xela), Guatemala. The clinic sees primarily indigenous (Mayan) patients in a rural mountain community. More than half of the patients are children, and the clinic is expanding its population even more to include more adults. Much of my struggles actually come from the rather universal theme of being a new healthcare provider, in my case, a new nurse practitioner. I'll also try to post plenty of travel stories to keep people entertained, and share some more cheerful stories. I apologize if there's an overkill of clinic stories. Sometimes it helps to tell the stories, even if only for my own sake.

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Quilt Project


One of the things that constantly impresses me here is the indigenous clothing. Women have gorgeous, intricate clothing, embroidered and woven. As much as I love the fruits and vegetables sold in the market, my favorite part is still the dress shops, where whole families go to shop for an outfit for one child, or one of the women. I have decided that I would like to take some fabric home to make a quilt.

All of the fabrics that I chose were some of the traditional weavings. Most of these fabrics are what the women here use for skirts. I have two more intricate cloths, one is actually a little girl's shirt, hand embroidered with flowers and other designs.

I am really looking forward to going home and piecing all of this together. If anyone has any quilt design ideas, let me know! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment